Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Wood Family Blocks Tutorial


What you will need:

  • 4x4 fence post cut in 3 1/2 inch lengths (or to make them like a cube)

  • 8 different pictures

  • 8-16 papers cut to3 1/2 x 3 1/2

  • mod podge

  • sand paper

  • vinyl letters or stickers or something to make the words with.

I have had these block finished for months.  I just kept forgetting to post about them.  Last fall we did a project using fence post blocks (4x4).  At that time I thought it might be fun to make the blocks as decoration for my home.  Then life happened and I got the blocks cut.

Then they sat in my craft room for awhile and I didn't get back to them.  Then I decided I wanted to work on them and so I had to figure out what pictures I was going to use.  I decided to go with Sepia tones.  I used Photoshop to make them into 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 size pictures and so they would have a similar look to them.
I sent them to Sam's club to be printed.  I left some extra parts of the pictures on the ones I wasn't absolutely sure where I would crop them.  Then I cropped them down to the 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch size with my paper trimmer.
Next I cut paper down to the same size.  For this project I needed 8 pictures and 16 cut pieces of paper.  I did duplicate quite a few but you have to make sure they don't end up on the same side when you glue it all together.

I rounded the corners on the pictures and the papers, then set aside what was going to go on each block.

I then just mod podged the papers on the sides of each block.  Remembering to put the pictures on opposite sides of each other and then making sure that the vinyl lettering I needed would show up on the papers.  Then sand the edges to the desired look.

I added the vinyl letters to the side to say HOME and LOVE.  My daughter loves to play with them and was more then willing to demonstrate the four sides that we did.
It does take a little thought process to make sure you end up with the pictures and papers on the right sides.  I did have to sand one of the pictures and a couple of the pages off since I spaced it and made it so there where two Kirsten's on the same side.  After I was finished I did another layer of mod podge to protect everything and here they are.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cute idea. I am sharing it on Momspiration Monday! http://www.momsbyheart.net/search/label/momspiration%20mondays

    =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails